Apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa


The UK student visa allows individuals from outside of the European Economic Area to enter the UK as a student, usually either at a school, college, or university.

In order to apply for a Tier 4 student visa, you will need to have Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) at a UK educational institution that holds a valid Tier 4 sponsorship license. The option to enter the UK on a Prospective Student visa ended in octobre 2013. This means that you cannot arrive in the UK with the intention of applying to study - you must already have confirmation of your acceptance before you enter the UK.

Can I apply for Student Finance on a Tier 4 Student Visa?


​Tier 4 Visa Students must spend at least 15 hours a week in study, and the student must be able to meet the cost of the course, maintenance and accommodation without working. Some students may be eligible to apply for a loan from Student Finance to cover tuition fees at UK universities. However, help with maintenance and other costs is usually restricted to UK and EU nationals, and those with legal residence; usually this means anyone who's legally been in the UK for 3 years or more.


Certains étudiants de niveau 4 peuvent travailler jusqu'à 20 heures par semaine pendant leurs études. Cependant, les modifications apportées à la loi britannique sur l'immigration 2015 signifient que les étudiants de niveau 4 des établissements d'enseignement postsecondaire publics ne peuvent plus travailler.

Does Tier 4 Student Visa cover family members?


Some Tier 4 (General) Student visas allow family members to apply to come to the UK with the visa holder, or to remain if already in the UK. This could include certain family members such as married, civil, and unmarried partners; and children under the age of 18. To apply for additional family members to enter or remain in the UK, Tier 4 students must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • The student must be enrolled on an NQF level 7 (UK Master's degree) or higher qualification in the UK for at least 1 year OR; 

  • The student must be sponsored by the UK government on a course lasting at least 6 months, OR; 

  • The student must be enrolled on a Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Get in touch with an experienced immigration solicitor


With student visa and immigration advisors based in Manchester, we keep in close contact with our clients throughout the process. Our extensive experience in student and working visas will guide you through the process of submitting your visa application to the Home Office.

Graduation Ceremony

Visa étudiant de niveau 4

Our legal team can support your immigration application for a Tier 4 Student Visa to enter and study in the UK. Find out more here. 

Speak to a legal expert today to apply for your student visa

Browse our latest Legal Updates